Calvary Baptist was founded in 1959 by several families who met for prayer and bible study, and in August of 1960, the present property was purchased in Vandenberg Village.
As the church grew, a new sanctuary was desperately needed, but by the spring of 1965 only 40 percent of the required building funds were available. However, the church voted overwhelmingly to step out in faith and trust the Lord to bring in the money - and He once again proved Himself faithful. In June 1965, construction was started, all bills were paid on time, and the building was completed on schedule with first services being held in our new and present sanctuary in January 1966.
This building, as with all of the other buildings, was built mostly by the people of the church as God supplied the talents where and when needed. Soon after, in 1966, the neighboring house on Jupiter was purchased and made into a nursery. Numerous remodels and construction have taken place throughout the years, with the most recent being the expansion project adding a gymnasium, classrooms and kitchen which was completed in September of 2001.
From the beginning Calvary has been part of the Baptist General Conference (BGC). In 2008 BGC changed their name to Converge Worldwide and in 2015 the name was shortened to simply Converge.
Calvary is passionate about global missions by sending and supporting missionaries around the world. In addition, Calvary’s outreach includes sending our youth on numerous short-term missions trips to Mexico and Poland.
The church has a long history of a strong youth program for all ages including children’s church, an AWANA program and a week long summer vacation bible school.